 Publishing / 4206
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 21:51:09 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman wrote:
   In lugnet.publish, Brian H. Nielsen wrote:
   My main concern is the extra time it takes to download messages containing in-line images rather than links to images. This is especially worrisome when using the Entire Thread on One Page or the This Message and its Replies on one Page features.

If there is a link to an image I have the choice of whether or not to spend the time and bandwidth to view it. People on high-speed connections probably don’t care one way or the other, but many of us are on dial-up connections. I at least have a 56K connection, but many areas can’t even get that level of service.

Brian,

What if there were an option you could set which prevented the inline display of images that are larger than some size you specify?

--Todd

That would be fine as long as it’s setting that persists across sessions. Zero should be a valid choice! Hopefully the links for the images that get filtered would be clickable to view the image. (Not sure what you would do if the image was already being used in an address tag, such as a logotype used as a link to someone’s site.)

There are probably other viable methods, such as an option to view all messages as plain text. Maybe even better ideas will come up in the future.

Brian H. Nielsen