 Publishing / 4253
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman wrote:

  • Fixed-width font now used for plain-text messages. Once upon a time, when LUGNET first served up messages via the web, messages were displayed in a fixed-width font. This was good, and held to tradition, but caused problems for people reading on low-end 640x480 screens (common at the time). We changed the font from Courier to Times Roman in order to compress the message display. Well, almost five years have passed since then, and the era of postage-stamp sized screens is long gone. So: it’s now changed back to Courier. (Note: if you prefer a fixed-width font other than Courier, you can configure this in your web browser preferences.)

I guess I don’t see the advantage of this part, and I can’t stand how when reading via the web it makes the listed posts look one way, and the posts themselves a completely different way. Plus, that fixed-width font is a killer on the eyes.

Roman face is nice because it’s a little easier on the eyes, esp. as was formatted on Lugnet previously.

To me it’s very much the case that you have fixed something that wasn’t broken.

-- Hop-Frog