 Publishing / 4180
Re: Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 05:22:00 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.publish, Todd Lehman wrote:
   In lugnet.publish, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

  1. Mike Petrucelli
Hey my name no longer has dash but a number 1 in front of it!?
(*cough* *cough* always preview *cough* *cough* :-)
Yeah. Narf. Didn’t it used to automatically do that?

Automatically preview? How? Like you mean, when you press the Post button without Previewing first, it automatically previews? ;-)

I think possibly the Post button should maybe be removed or grayed out at first (before you click Preview) to cut down on cowboy-posting. :-) But it probably ought to be a per-user setting, because I can already hear people complaining about it slowing them down. :-)

   I figured that out but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Perhaps it might be wise for me to remove the “-” (count-down list) paragraph type altogether. It was only in there for symmetry with “+” (count-up list). Who really uses that anyway?

Since the count-up list can take an optional index number, a count-down list could still be written manually as:
+3 foo
+2 bar
+1 zot
which results in:
  1. foo
  2. bar
  3. zot

   The more I think about it, the more I think when used in moderation the new FTX tools will be very useful. I guess my initial fear was that Lugnet would devolve into a 90 percent useless flotsam evironment, like the afore mentioned Transformers newsgroup. I guess that fear is kind of silly given the watchful eye kept over Lugent by its diligent creators. :-)

Ya, there’s not really much crazy stuff you can do with it -- you can’t do blinking and color changes and big ugly background patches. Mainly it’s for simple typography (italics, boldface, computer words) and pictures and things.

   P.S. The color change for previous posts is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks.

--Todd