 Publishing / 364
Re: Case-sensitivity in programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:31:47 GMT

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999 01:12:46 GMT, "Earls HouseHold"
<brandone@mounet.com> wrote:

This is true, Steve, but even COBOL used all caps on the 80 column cards.

True.  It just wasted more bytes with long source code than it saved
with a small character set.

Then again, when it really mattered, the source code was prolly kept in
card decks, and only the compiled code ever made it to magnetic storage.

Most of the early keypunch machines had only caps.  Did you ever wonder why
the standard VDT line length was 80 characters back before someone decided
that it would be nice to use all the paper space on a 14 X 11 fan fold
sheet?  It started with them cards.

I hadn't thought of that.  Makes sense.

I can still remember having to program
I/O with patch board and hardwire.  Does that make me a geezer?

I suppose it does, you geezer.  ;)

I remember that my dad always wrote in a very neat, 'printed', all-caps
hand.  I realize now that came from him spending so much time writing
down programs for keypunch operators to transcribe.

What it
boils down to is "you like what you like and you usually like what you use
the most".

Very true.

Steve