 Publishing / 342
Re: Lego Easter Eggs!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:15:12 GMT

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:37:43 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:09:04 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:29:31 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

As is right and proper. Ones that aren't case-sensitive bite hard.

Why?

Because it's the Unix way! But seriously.. I mean, think of a
_logical_ reason why ShElLL.bMp and shelll.bmp should refer to the
same file - the main reason lose98 does that, is beacuase DOS _had_ no
capitalisation in its filenames. And as we all know, win98 is just a
GUI on top of DOS.

Is 'Reason' the same word as 'reason'?  Filenames aren't just some
internal computer identification.  They're used by people, and people
are not (generally) case-sensitive.  Well, they might be case-sensitive
if you don't capitalize their name properly.  But they recognize it as
their name, not as a different name entirely.

I also don't like my programming languages to be case sensitive, for
more-or-less the same reason.  I think it's illogical for a program to
choke on the keyword 'if', but accept 'IF' with no problem.

Computers should serve people, not the other way around.

Steve