 Publishing / 353
Re: Case-sensitivity in programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:46:31 GMT

While the discussion to Case or not to Case is very interesting and I hope
it continues, I would like inject something at this point.  A bit of history
if you will.  Way back when ( Mr. Peabody please set the Wayback Machine for
the cusp between main frames and minis)  we used machinery that did not
always have uppercase and lowercase we didn't have to make this decision.
Then someone in their wisdom interduced the CRT ( commonly called the video
terminal by some ) we had to make a choice because the old software didn't
know what Case was and cost to much to fix ( well it ain't broke!  AND YOU
WANT TO SPENT HOW MUCH TO FIX IT??!! ).  Those older languages became case
ignorers and newer ones used everthing they could.  This is were this all
started.  In the early days, you worried about using to much of everything.
Have you ever wondered why C command are so short and cryptic.  Lack of
usable character space in the file name system for one.  Another, you save 7
to 8 bits for each character you don't use, that is, if your using ASCII and
not RTTY, in which case you only save 5 bits, but then if your using RTTY
you lack a lot of characters in your alphabet and really can't use Case any
way.  Now .... Huh!
(Now its time go, Mr. Earls.)
Who are you guys?
(We're here to help you.  Let's just give you this nice little injection
...)
Ouch!  I'm feeeling ....  sleeepyyyy.......

Roy