 Publishing / 349
348  |  350
Subject:
Unix geeks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:40:12 GMT

Steve:
Mike:
Steve:
Computers should serve people, not the other way around.

Amen.  But if that really happened then Unix geeks wouldn't be able to
walk around thinking they're better than everyone else because they
know how to do things the hard way while looking down on people who
get the job done doing them the easy way.

I think it's a matter of perspective...  When someone who is a Unix geek is
doing something the hard way, In my experience they're actually doing it the
easy way -- it just looks cryptic if you don't speak the lingo.  They're often
also inventing (on-the-fly) a repeatable procedure which would be 100x more
complicated in most other environments.  For example, if you wanted to see a
list of the most common three-letter beginnings of English words, you could
click an icon on your desktop which launches a program someone wrote for this
(as if it would exist), or you could just go to a shell and rattle off:

   cat /etc/words | awk '{print substr($0,1,3)}' | sort | uniq -c | sort

It looks silly, but a lot of it is idiomatic and second-nature.  If you wanted
to see only the least frequently occurring ones, you could type

   cat /etc/words | awk '{print substr($0,1,3)}' | sort | uniq -c | sort | head

and if you wanted to see only the most frequently occurring ones, you could
type

   cat /etc/words | awk '{print substr($0,1,3)}' | sort | uniq -c | sort | tail

I think most of time when Unix geeks are "looking down" on something, it's the
programming environment and the inability of other environment to provide quick
& simple one-off solutions to various problems.  The line above only takes
about 30 seconds to think up & type, whereas writing an actual program to do
that would take at least 5 minutes (and more without a string hash library).

Hmm.  Since you put it that way, Unix is serving people.  But only some
people, and not in the way I intended.

I'll bet you'll be running within 3 years.  And you'll like it.  ;-)

--Todd