 Publishing / 356
Re: Unix geeks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:32:51 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:40:12 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

  cat /etc/words | awk '{print substr($0,1,3)}' | sort | uniq -c | sort

Does uniq mess up the sorting? I don't see why you have to pipe it
through sort twice otherwise. I mean, Yick. sort is a slow program
anyway, so doing it twice where once would do :)

Jasper

sort it once to get the word prefixes in order. uniq -c to get you a
count of the prefix occurrences prepended to the prefix after removeing
dups, sort it again to put the prefixes in order by number of
occurences.

If you really were the geek you claim you were :-), you would have known
the two sorts are for different reasons and there's no way using this
approach to avoid both. However, wc may be useful here if properly
applied. Have to think.

and if you haven't rewritten sort on your box to be faster, what kind of
geek ARE you? :-)

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.