 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9880
9879  |  9881
Subject:
Infuriating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:38:09 GMT

Hey guys,

So, at the suggestion Trevyn Watson, I've been reading the controversy over the
colour change stuff.  Who the hell are these people?

First, I long gave up on the idea that the "classic" colours were going to stay
"classic" forever.  Copious amounts of lime green, orange, dark grey and the
like have all come and been readily adopted.  Even grey was always hard to find,
and is now in every 4107 bucket in gobs.  My favourites red, yellow, and the
like are no longer alone and haven't been for nearly five years if not more!
Who cares if there's new colours, there's always new colours!

Second, I can't see how the new colours REPLACING the old ones is worth getting
upset.  They're not saying they're getting RID OF grey, it's just changing
slightly.  I knew the colours were different even at age six-if you look at
different blue pieces, they look different under varying light.  Doesn't keep me
up at night.  That and my old bricks are still there.  It's not like I can't use
them anymore.

What bothers me is the response.  The response has been nothing short of
amazing.  Amazingly stupid that is.  I can't fathom how people are:

-Proclaiming their collections are ruined.
-Declaring they won't buy Lego again
-Trying to organize calling campaigns to Lego CA.

In the words of William Shatner, "Get a life!"  You're calling Lego Consumer
Affairs?  That's as lame as calling Paramount because you disagree with a shot
of the Enterprise in a Star Trek movie not having the right colour of glow in
the starboard warp nacelle.

The anger and energy demonstrated so far is totally disproportionate to the
overall significance of this change.  God help us if Lego fans got behind civil
rights or saving the environment.

Lego isn't your company, they don't own anything to you, and they exist to make
money by selling to kids.  If their target market will like and buy these
products more due to the new colours, great!  They know their market better than
any of us do.

If it makes money, it will be done.  I can't believe there are people naive
enough to believe that vague concepts like "respect", "maintaining consistency"
and "you didn't consult your AFOL fan base" play any role in the heavy concept
known as MAKING MONEY and MOVING PRODUCT.  Ask Chris how far "community spirit"
gets him.  He'll barely spell properly in news posts, not to mention move 4x8
sheets of plywood.  He's out for number 1, and so is Lego.  I expect nothing
less!

To talk about "respecting AFOLs" and other crap is just downright silly.  They
make a product we happen to like, but it's not for us primarily.  Remember
that-NOT FOR US primarily.  We just HAPPEN TO LIKE it.  Take it as it is.

Sigh.  I'm ashamed to be a Lego enthusiast.

Calum