 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9909
Re: Infuriating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:24:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Phillips wrote:
because you know each other and it's all in good fun.  It's a somewhat different
thing to use strong phrases like "who the hell are these people", or to dismiss
our opinions as "amazingly stupid", "other crap" and "downright silly" in a
discussion group that is posted to the main LUGNET interface for all to see.

My message isn't so much about rtlToronto (we're just having fun most of the
time) as the litany of traffic I've seen.  I chose those words  and I meant
them: I'm not joking about it.  (Unlike most of my conversations with Chris) I
do think this behaviour from the AFOL community is amazingly stupid, and I think
a lot of the opinions are downright silly.

I usually enjoy reading rtlT too, which is why I don't filter it.  But I must
admit that it took me several months of reading it to figure out that you

If you really want to actively breed a hostile environment, more power to

Call it hostile if you want--As casual and lax as we are, most of the folks in
rtlToronto aren't the "let's hold hands and sing campfire songs about our
favourite toy" types.

I don't think I'm alone in this belief either.  I'm probably just the only one
telling it as it is.  And I'm doing it in our NG, because I think most of us
agree with this--most of the people in this group are very functional oriented.
They don't care if a piece is dark blue, dark yellow, dark grey, but that it
doesn't skip counts or bend under stress.  Even the model builders in the group
I haven't heard a peep from.  I'm aware other people read it, but it's not being
crossposted anywhere but here.  It's a individual opinion that I think many in
the group share.  That's why it's not in .general.

If I simply stop buying their products and don't tell them why, they won't know
how to lure me back as a customer and we both (TLC and I) lose.

This is the attitude I'm disagreeing with.  I don't believe Lego cares about
AFOLs as customers, so I think people should get back to running robotics
competitions, thinking of new castles to build and their own constructions
instead of whining.  No amount of harassment of consumer affairs or kvetching
online will get some VP of Product Design to change his or her mind, unless
you're the primary buyer at Toys R Us or represent a large demographic that
doesn't know the phrase "SNOT".  (Hint:  The large demographic drives minivans
and doesn't call Consumer Affairs with a prewritten script that some fanboy
wrote already for them to read across the phone)

This is like those attempts at saving some cult TV show.  I know, because I
actually bothered to write a letter to CBS asking for my favourite show, "the
Amazing Race" to be renewed this year, as pitful as it seems.  (yeah, you can
all laugh and say get a life to me too).  We all thought we had a chance of
having it renewed, so we wrote to the president of CBS (and for me, the viewer
relations department at CTV).  Did it do a whit of good?  No.  Who cares what
some TV obsessed freaks like watching on Wednesday nights!  The Bachelor brings
in millions of AD DOLLARS, not whiny guys writing in complaint letters, hence
they get renewed.

What DID get Amazing Race renewed was not fan letters but the fact it WON AN
EMMY and people who actually did matter (major TV stars and critics from
magazines like Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide) talking about it.

Thinking my letter to CBS actually did something is woefully naive and overly
optimistic.

Calum "That's right, I'm talking to you" Tsang