 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9902
Re: Infuriating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Joe Meno wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Phillips wrote:
(snip)
I know it's a local group, but what wows me is that the average rtlToronto-er
doesn't seem to grasp that the list gets cross-posted to LUGNET for all to see.
It's not like we all go out of our way to follow what's going on up there, just
that we're subjected to it whenever we read LUGNET.

wait a minute, so you're saying that your voice is more important than anyone
else's?

Where did I say that?

What I was trying to say is that it's one thing for you guys to bash each other
because you know each other and it's all in good fun.  It's a somewhat different
thing to use strong phrases like "who the hell are these people", or to dismiss
our opinions as "amazingly stupid", "other crap" and "downright silly" in a
discussion group that is posted to the main LUGNET interface for all to see.

But again, I'm not here to tell you how to conduct yourselves on your own list.
If you really want to actively breed a hostile environment, more power to you!
Just don't be surprised when a clueless outsider like me drops in and takes the
bait.

I will have to differ with that! I see rtl's use of LUGNET to chat
as a good use of the medium.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  Just as it is a good use of
lugnet.general to discuss a sweeping change that is being made to the LEGO
product line.

And as Derek I think pointed out, you can always filter out your settings.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your group, just reminding you that
we can all still hear you when you talk amongst yourselves.

I think that's the whole idea. And I personally enjoy some constant chatter
from the rtl gang. They're pretty cool!

I usually enjoy reading rtlT too, which is why I don't filter it.  But I must
admit that it took me several months of reading it to figure out that you guys
are actually having fun.  From the outside, it doesn't appear that way.

And right now you're trying to tell how LEGO should run itself..

I'm trying to tell them how to capture the most of my dollar.  I've already
stated that I plan to stockpile the old colors while they are available and then
I will curtail my spending for awhile to see what they do in the long run.  I
don't plan to walk away from the hobby, but I'm not just going to sit back and
buy stuff that won't work for me just because it has the word LEGO printed on
it.

Clearly I would prefer that they continue to sell the products that I want to
buy, and I'm letting them know it in the most constructive way I can think of.
If I simply stop buying their products and don't tell them why, they won't know
how to lure me back as a customer and we both (TLC and I) lose.

- Chris.