 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9925
Re: Infuriating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:32:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Phillips wrote:
Hey guys,

So, at the suggestion Trevyn Watson, I've been reading the controversy over
the colour change stuff.  Who the hell are these people?

(snip lots of ranting and raving about people ranting and raving)

Sigh.  I'm ashamed to be a Lego enthusiast.

Calum

You're absolutely right, Calum.  I feel so ashamed for being a shrewd consumer
and actually expecting a company that I do several hundred dollars worth of
business with every month to actually try to meet my needs as a consumer.  I
hang my head in shame.

There are so many more important things for us to discuss.  Like who in
rtlToronto has the most excess/unused cranial capacity.  Or on how many
different types of Connect Four boards and pieces have been produced over the
last 20 years.  Or whose baby pictures are the cutest.  Or who StrongBad is
ranking on when he says "I don't care that your cell phone has a camera in it."

I take back everything bad that I've said about the color change.  After all, if
I turn out most of the lights in my building area and wear sunglasses and never
photograph my models, I'll almost never notice that the new pieces don't match
the older ones.  As long as I don't build any single model that uses more than
three pieces of grey or brown brick.  After all, you never see those colors in
real life.  At least not if you turn out all the lights and don sunglasses.

I guess I should go out and get a life like you say.  Does LEGO sell those?
What colors do they come in?

- Chris.

p.s.  I never would have expected to get such friendly advice from the
self-proclaimed Unfriendliest Place on the Internet (TM).  But clearly we should
all take a lesson from you, since you have obviously been hiding under a rock
for the last two weeks.

I nominate Chris to the board of Lego Directors--then let's see how well he can
run the Lego company.

If selected, all of Lugnet should have his personal e-mail if such position is
offered--so we, as the premier fan community, and all-knowing Lego fan base can
completely ignore any European influence (despite the origin of the company and
40 years of history there before coming to America in the late 60's/early 70's,
not to mention other world influences) that could be driving product influences.
Us fanatics buy so much product and make our own MOC's, and we therefore should
know what is best for Lego...then we can deluge him with our opinions and tell
him how to run the company with some nice armchair managment techniques.

Let's try to open some eyes a little wider and have people see a little farther.
Lego is an international company, not a North American company.  It is important
to notice cultural differences and how they affect business decisions.  Do some
reading on the formation of Airbus, and you'll get an interesting perspective.

Does this mean I think Lego is correct in everything it does?  Well, let me put
it this way--EVERY company can make mistakes.  Sometimes Fanatics are too close
to the forest to see the trees.  Coke made a big mistake...Worldcomm...
Enron...the list goes on if you check your history. Some companies can even turn
around (Continental Airlines, Motorola).

Has anybody noticed old toys (made by previously different company names),
coming back under a new label?  Didn't Tonka make Go-Bots?  How come the name is
coming back under Hasbro now?

Unless you are privy to the way the company operates, it's not totally safe to
assume you know what the company is doing wrong--there could be a larger vision
as to what is going on.

Do I have my opinions about the Lego company and their decisions?  Sure,
everybody does...Do I need to voice them?  Well, if I do, it's going to be at
the people that can make a difference, and when I do, it won't be because "it
ruins my collection.."

It's far more productive to find the time to locate the correct person and
identify issues than to spout to the masses about "what they are doing
wrong"...it just wastes energy, isn't very productive, and just makes certain
people want to ignore you more.

Scott