 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13598
Re: rtlToronto19: Balance of Power and other upcoming events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:04:23 GMT

On Thu, March 3, 2005 3:44 pm, Derek Raycraft said:
Calum Tsang wrote:
I think, it was either Iain or John, who said if we put the broomstick thingy in
the base, it would make everyone need to use it and would basically force a
given strategy.  I guess it is overwhelmingly attractive as a strategy to grab
the broomstick.

Would you want it there?  I think Iain (or John?) didn't think it was a good
idea.

I fear the broomstick would just turn this into a tug of war.

Hmm. Tug-of-war.  Who's pieces will break first?

This contest has some serious damage potential.  Sure, falling off a table is one
thing (or jumping an RCX across a gap).  But, imagine two really well built robots,
pulling on the stick.  Something's going to give, and it won't be the stick.  Or,
maybe it will.

With only 2.2lbs the robots will be small, and weak.  Parts will break.

One thing to consider: if the broomstick is used, someone will have to build it.  In
fact, several people may have to build it (for testing).

If a 2x4 is used, anyone can easily test at home.  More people will enter.

Just my .02$ (US)
Steve