 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13508
Re: rtlToronto19: Balance of Power and other upcoming events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:41:04 GMT

Hey guys,

Here's what we have on deck for 2005:

April - Unnamed Train Show.  Staging for NMRA, goal to have 80% of what we need
for NMRA for show at this display.  DaveK?  Janey? Comments on extended loop?

Here's the thing on the extended loop--we're not bringing it to NMRA.

When Frank called last week, I mentioned that we needed a 10x10 area, for that's
the layout we're bringing to NMRA.

If we want to get a larger layout together, the contributors (Janey, me,
whomever else) need to get together and plan it, probably after NMRA so there's
no rush on that...

April - rtlToronto/live3: RC Racing.  Everyone brings some garden hose to lay
out a race track on an indoor surface.  John and Derek design the track.  We all
bring 8475/8366 RC Racers.  Channels 1/2 are for racing, Channel 3 for testing.
We could even do this at the trainshow in an empty area of the show.  I really
want to have POV wireless camera on this one.

I'm in.  We should be able to design our own car chassis' around the
controller/motors/etc but the resulting vehicle would have to fit some sort of
weight/size restriction (or I could just bring my 8448, though wouldn't win 1st
palce for speed, it will be the best looking thing there...)

IMHO ;p

May - rtlToronto19: Balance of Power.  New game, based on MIT game called
"Tiltilator" shown on NOVA/PBS.  Concept Drawing:
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/balance2.jpg

Basically the idea is to make your end of the bar lower than the other's.    Not
just "Sumo on a Rail" (which some people might think it is) there are a number
of design strategies for this one and it scales nicely for expertise

What's to stop me from just making my entire size requirement battery boxes?

Comments on?

-Weight restriction
-Size restriction (start marker as a size restriction)
-Winning as balance after a given time
-Winning as beyond a certain angle (limit stop on either side)
-Dimensions of balance staging.

July - NMRA2005 in Cincinnati.  Need to finalize arrangements for moving this
stuff down there.

I have to give up one thing this summer and I think it's gonna be NMRA.  I have
no layout modules in the layout and I can send my rolling stock with other
people.

As well, I want to focus on the 'bigger layout' for subsequent shows so I'll
leave NMRA up to Jeff VW and people contribuitng modules.

Summer - BrickFest?  Anyone want to go?!

This I want to get to but finances are pretty tight.

August - rtlToronto/live4: Warm summertime RC boat game?

In!

Calum
PS-Send me your photos now so I can work on the gallery tomorrow.

Working on it.

Dave K