 Off-Topic / Fun / 698
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:50:33 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
Thief, yeah I heard people talkin' bout that.

Very cool game.  Looking forward to spending some more time with it.
Definitely not your average shooter.

use milliions of triangles, where a say, Quake scene uses typically
4000. Which means that most 3D game cards don't produce more than say
100.000 triangles/sec - too few for real scenes, whereas a prof 3D
card will have a very high triangles count, and a rather low
fill-rate: You don't want it to run at 1200*1600* 60fps, you want it
to run in 320*200 realtime, typically.

At least, this is about the explanation i remember reading.

Hrmmm, makes sense, I guess.  I hadn't thought of the rendering
animation stuff, just rendering scenes.  But that isn't really
something I know much about...

Can't you even do 24? Yick. :) I run 1280*1024*32bit, for my 17"
monitor, that's plenty enough to make the fonts really small :)

Actually, I just switched to 24.  To do 32 I have to knock it down to
1280x1024, which seems a little large to me.  I like to make maximum
use of my screen real estate, usually with a telnet window open, 2 web
browser windows, and a TV tuner window.

Wish I could stick to a budget for computers or Lego.  Things I need
to buy for my machine alone this next week:  Buslogic BT958 UW scsi
controller.  9GB IBM UltraStar HD.  Plextor 12/20x CDROM.  Diamond
MX300 PCI Soundcard.

_need_ to buy. Uhuh. You do that kind of $500+ shopping sprees every
week?

Not every week, no.  :)  Actually, I priced out the 2 machines I need
(actually do need so I can play with different OS's and make them work
together and not sacrifice mine or my wife's personal machines) to
build, along with going all SCSI in mine.  A little over $1700 to
build 2 450's and slap all that stuff in mine.  All SCSI is losing out
in favor of getting the two new machines.  I'll just settle for one of
the 10.1gb IBM Deskstar 7200rpm ultradma drives for now, although I am
going to get another Plextor.  I'll never own another IDE cdrom drive.

Anyway, if I actually _had_ any money I'd spend it too, but I'm living
with my parents, and basically living off pocket money $200/mo. And I
just bought a RIS and 8880, and a Yamaha CDR-400t, and a NCR-860, and
my money's run out - especially if I decide I want that 5571 _really_
bad :)

That Yamaha is a nice burner.  We've got the 4260 4/2/6 rewritable at
work and I love it.  I've got a panasonic/matsushita 4x burner at
home.  I'd like to upgrade to the new Plextor 8x.  :)

I just took an old IDE drive, plugged it in an old Multi-IO ISA
controller I had left, set to only have a secondary IDE, and used that
to install. Turn off, remove CD drive, turn on again.

That can work.  I'll be putting a 5 gig drive in that and I'd rather
not have a random large partition, so I think I might just decide to
leave the 8x CDROM in that machine, especially now that I want to play
with Samba 2.0.  If I can find Linux drivers for my printers (fat
chance for the photo inkjet) I might even let it be my file and print
server instead of NT.

Cool.. wish I could afford to get a new motherboard and processor
again. If I find the money sometime soon, I'm just gonna plug a new
K6-350 or 400 in this motherboard. More likely a 350, btw, since the
motherboard is relatively old and likely doesn't support the
K6/2-400's cache trick :) Or mayber I should wait for a K6/3...
Choices, choices.. :)

Ah, just wait a little longer and buy one of the Alphas once AMD
starts making them.  ;)

If I had real money, I'd go the adventurous way and get me a dual
Celeron -450 system :). You need to do some _real_ work to make
celerons SMP :)

If I had an extra two I would try it.  I've studied the pictures and
instructions for doing it and it doesn't seem like too big a deal, but
this isn't the time to throw another couple hundred dollars away.

thinking Linux can deal with 64 for a while, though, just to save a
little bit of money.

Well.. sure. I mean, my gateway uses 12 meg and doesn't spill over
into it's 10 meg swap partition, unless large mails arrive.

Well, I plan on running Apache on it and probably doing some file and
print sharing as well, but I still think 64mb should be enough to
start.

That was the best part. try:

http://jerrypournelle.com

to read them yet again...

It also syas somewhere there that CMP hasn't contacted him about
restarting BYTE, ever. Looks like that's $100 down the drain :((

Ouch.  Well, at least we can still read Pournelle.  I don't think he's
quite the guru that some people do, but he does get to play with some
cool stuff and I do like his writing.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide