 Off-Topic / Fun / 650
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:26:57 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
There is no upgrade from G200. Not for quality, anyway. G200 is, at
least what I hear, the best Picture quality on the market, and the
best 2D & 3D quality, even if it's "only" 80% as fast as a voodoo II
card. I use one myself, so I may be biased :) anyway, I noticed that
quake2 gives me framerates from 11-13 fps, for resolutions of 200*240
(Ick) up to 800*600 - I haven't tested beyond yet. The bottleneck is
my 166MMX processot - it can't give the data to the video card fast
enough :)

Actually, unless you are running the alpha OpenGL ICD the G200 isn't
really doing much of anything for you quality or speed wise, and could
never be compared to a voodoo 2.  Trust me, I have a G200 and dual
V2's.  You're only running in software mode with those resolutions,
and the difference between software rendering like you're doing, and
real 3d acceleration like I get, is the difference between driving a
beat up old clunker with no shocks and driving in a nice new town car.

Now pick a game like Motorcross Madness that uses Direct3D and the
difference becomes much less, especially since the G200 can make up
for the lower horsepower by offering 32-bit color rendering.  I can
play MM on either card(s) at 1024x768 and notice very little
difference.

By the time you have a new monitor, there is likely gonna be a new
video card that's even better. But it's still likely to be a Matrox,
or possibly a high-end Diamond :)

Well, Matrox has really dropped the ball on the G200.  OpenGL support,
meaning support for 3D apps and more importantly (to this market)
games, was supposed to ship with the card in the box in August.
Didn't.  Supposed to be out by September.  Wasn't.  Then October.
Nope.  Then November, and by golly, "even if we have to keep people
here around the clock it will be out before midnight November 30."
Nope.  Then what do they do?  A PRE-BETA version out by December 9,
which I think they managed to meet, but, oh, it only supports games
using the Quake 2 engine, nothing else, and no application support
whatsover.

NT OpenGL support, also promised out of the box, not before 1st
Quarter 99, which will almost certainly mean the END of 1Q.  And
Pre-Beta (what the hell does that mean besides Alpha anyway?) for
95/98 in December means maybe a final by the end of Q1.  Maybe.

During the days of the Millenium, a card that proved to everyone how
awesome Matrox could be, Matrox led the pack and was still the top of
the line even two years after it came out.

Now, though, they've lied and lied to their customers, not to mention
all the lack of support problems you can read about anywhere.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I buy another Matrox product before
they've proven they're being honest about it.  My next card will be
from ATI if they do an all-in-wonder version of their Rage128 card.

Of course, a G200 is about 2/3 the price of a voodoo Banshee, maybe
evcen less than that.

Yeah, but unlike the Banshee or the Riva TNT cards, the G200 is
essentially still a Direct3D-only card for acceleration.  2D quality
is undisputed, though.  But 2D quality on the Riva cards is superb as
well.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Meet more LEGO fans in your area through LUGNET