 Off-Topic / Fun / 683
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:40:13 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:26:57 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Actually, unless you are running the alpha OpenGL ICD the G200 isn't

Well, duh. Naturally. :)

really doing much of anything for you quality or speed wise, and could
never be compared to a voodoo 2.  Trust me, I have a G200 and dual
V2's.  You're only running in software mode with those resolutions,
and the difference between software rendering like you're doing, and
real 3d acceleration like I get, is the difference between driving a
beat up old clunker with no shocks and driving in a nice new town car.

Never tried either, but I take your point. Of course, V2 or even V1
isn't woreth it for me. I play muds, when I play any games at all, and
zMUD isn't exactly a 3D intensive app :)

I did download Quake2 a couple of weeks ago, just to see if it was any
good..

Well, Matrox has really dropped the ball on the G200.  OpenGL support,
meaning support for 3D apps and more importantly (to this market)

None of the 3D cards has enough triangles/s for non-games openGL apps,
I've been told.

essentially still a Direct3D-only card for acceleration.  2D quality
is undisputed, though.  But 2D quality on the Riva cards is superb as
well.

Good :) I bought it for 2D, and TNT wasn't out yet back then.

I used to run on an Virge/DX which was fine at 800*600*70 Hz at a low
quality .28 14" monitor. Then I upgraded to a Visionmaster Pro 17,
with a diamondTron tube, .25 dp, and I started running at 1280*1024.
The Virge/DX could only handle 256 colors, and it was very unsharp.
Something I only noticed when I upgraded to the G200, which was pretty
cheap for a solid upgrade - that's important to me, I can't afford
much more than $25-50 /mo on comps. And that's stinting on the Lego,
MtG, and other stuff.

Anyway, I would prolly have done a TNT if it existed at a reasonable
price back then, but alas... Speaking of Alas, do you know what's
happening at BYTE? I haven't heard _anything_ from them since the last
issue in may or june, and I've got 2+ years of subscription coming to
me. :((

Jasper