 General / 1910
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 05:20:31 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Joshua Delahunty <dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
BTW, the docs insinuate (to me, anyway), that a "full" install will
not require use of the CD, but that isn't true.  It's ALWAYS needed.
...and
a typical install doesn't really save THAT much disk space.  <sigh>

Requiring the CD in something that amounts to a game or home fun
program is the norm, no matter how much you install.

Not anymore, IMHO.

Allowing someone
to install the full install and then never use the cd would certainly
be convenient, but it would also make it incredibly easy to pirate
this software, something TLG obviously is trying to prevent - else you
(and I) could make backup copies of the CDROM.  I know you can't, I've
used every bit of cd copying software known to man on it and can't
make it work.

I can't think of one piece of CD software I own (all entertainment
titles) where I can't either install it all to the hard drive directly,
install it all the hard drive and change the drive letter in an .INI
file, or at the very least use virtual CD software to not require the
use of the CD as a dongle.  Certainly not any that can't be backed-up.

Except for Creator.

You and I are on the same page with this, BTW.  I've noted your
mentioning your inability to assert your rights to make a backup of the
software, and that in itself is a major reason that this copy protection
scheme was a bad idea.

The irritation factor is another, albeit minor point.

The biggest reason I feel negative about the situation, however, is
that  placing non-standard data tracks on the CD has rendered the
software UNUSABLE on standard machines.  My drive is NEC.  It's nearly
brand-new.  I would expect that this sort of "digital trickery" would
fail on at least SOME drives, and that's makes the scheme a bad idea.
The fact that the drives are high-speed CD and DVD-ROM drives is even
worse.  The folks with the faster hardware (and therefore most likely to
get the best speeds out of the software) can be unable to even launch
it.  Grrr.

I'd also point out that this situation didn't occur with LEGO Island,
which is ironic to me since Creator is -- at least potentially -- much
more interesting software to me.  They didn't try this with any of the
Mindstorms software or the 8299 software either.  Perhaps those titles
wouldn't be as interesting as pirate material, but it is an unbalanced
approach.

[Follow-ups have been appropriately redirected]

-- joshua