 Off-Topic / Fun / 690
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:40:08 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
Never tried either, but I take your point. Of course, V2 or even V1
isn't woreth it for me. I play muds, when I play any games at all, and
zMUD isn't exactly a 3D intensive app :)

Ught.  :)  I just finished Baldur's Gate, the only non-3d accelerated
game I've played in quite a while.  Now I'm reinstalling Half-life and
Theif: The Dark Project, both 3d FPS-types.

None of the 3D cards has enough triangles/s for non-games openGL apps,
I've been told.

Dunno since I don't have the time to play with them.  I thought the
TNT had heidi drivers, though, which ought to mean it will accelerate
3DSMax and stuff.  Maybe I'll find the time someday...

Good :) I bought it for 2D, and TNT wasn't out yet back then.

I used to run on an Virge/DX which was fine at 800*600*70 Hz at a low
quality .28 14" monitor. Then I upgraded to a Visionmaster Pro 17,
with a diamondTron tube, .25 dp, and I started running at 1280*1024.
The Virge/DX could only handle 256 colors, and it was very unsharp.
Something I only noticed when I upgraded to the G200, which was pretty
cheap for a solid upgrade - that's important to me, I can't afford
much more than $25-50 /mo on comps. And that's stinting on the Lego,
MtG, and other stuff.

For 2D the G200 is excellent.  I have an Optiquest V95 19" monitor and
I'm running 1600x1200x16bitx75hz - looks awesome.  I may get the 8mb
upgrade at some point so I can do 32bit color, but it isn't really
necessary.

Wish I could stick to a budget for computers or Lego.  Things I need
to buy for my machine alone this next week:  Buslogic BT958 UW scsi
controller.  9GB IBM UltraStar HD.  Plextor 12/20x CDROM.  Diamond
MX300 PCI Soundcard.

That doesn't include the 2 other machines I need to put together,
although all I really need to get for those are cases, mb's, ram, one
video card (probably a TNT since that will be for my wife), and
floppies.  One will be my NT server machine, the other will be my
Linux box.

What I'm wondering is, I know I can do an NT install over the network
fairly easy - done it before.  So I don't need a CDROM for that
machine (I have an extra 8x but I'd rather leave it out and use it in
the Linux box).  I'm wondering how easy it would be to do the same for
the Linux box.  I might just dump the Redhat 5.2 CD to a 700 meg
partition on the hd before I put it in that machine.

Both new machines will be Celeron 300A's overclocked to 450.  :)
Actually, the NT server will be my wife's current P2-350 and she'll
get one of the 450's.  Linux will live on the other one.

The 350 has 128 megs, and I'll put 128 in Rachael's new machine.  I'm
thinking Linux can deal with 64 for a while, though, just to save a
little bit of money.

Anyway, I would prolly have done a TNT if it existed at a reasonable
price back then, but alas... Speaking of Alas, do you know what's
happening at BYTE? I haven't heard _anything_ from them since the last
issue in may or june, and I've got 2+ years of subscription coming to
me. :((

Hrmmmm..... nope, but my subscription ran out a while ago.  I only
ever read it for Pournelle's column anyway, though.  Have you checked
their website?

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide