 Off-Topic / Fun / 646
Re: Lego Creator Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:12:35 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:40:21 GMT, Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> wrote:

Also sprach Mike Stanley:
I'm using the G200 because I got it for free from a friend who had
upgraded.  I really do not know terribly much about video cards.  I'm
pleased with the performance, though.  My real bottleneck is my 1024x768
17-inch monitor.  Once I replace that with a 1600x1200-19" maybe I will
ditch the video card as well.  What would you suggest for a not-too-
serious gamer who needs good color and resolution more than top-of-the-
line 3d acceleration?

There is no upgrade from G200. Not for quality, anyway. G200 is, at
least what I hear, the best Picture quality on the market, and the
best 2D & 3D quality, even if it's "only" 80% as fast as a voodoo II
card. I use one myself, so I may be biased :) anyway, I noticed that
quake2 gives me framerates from 11-13 fps, for resolutions of 200*240
(Ick) up to 800*600 - I haven't tested beyond yet. The bottleneck is
my 166MMX processot - it can't give the data to the video card fast
enough :)

By the time you have a new monitor, there is likely gonna be a new
video card that's even better. But it's still likely to be a Matrox,
or possibly a high-end Diamond :)

Of course, a G200 is about 2/3 the price of a voodoo Banshee, maybe
evcen less than that.

Jasper