 Off-Topic / Fun / 6079
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 01:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Larry Pieniazek writes:

What does the term "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and
private" mean?  It's printed on all of our currency.

Um... I give.

No, no, no!  You're supposed to dispense information.  Jeez.  ;-)

For that matter, what does "in God we Trust" mean?

It is the invokation of good-luck voodoo that keeps our economy stable.  Duh.

I don't.  Does that mean I can't use the money if I don't?

I don't think that's logically the same since it doesn't instruct on a point of
law.  I think it's like the difference between the two halves of the second
amendment.  Before the comma it's all descriptive text and after the comma it's
the law of the land.

I think that whatever terms I arrange and which the other party accepts, are
binding.

I certainly agree that that's how it should be.

The IRS pretty much does what it wants.

Yeah, many people have a big problem with their legal carte blanche.

They've taken the stance that they will be paid only in forms
convenient to them,

I wonder how far they could carry that before the court would slap them down.

they characterise all unusual payments as a form of
"tax protest" similar to filing a frivolous return.

I like to pay them $1.13 (or whatever) over the amount I "owe" so that they
have to issue a refund.

Chris