 Off-Topic / Fun / 6068
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:51:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.market.services, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.services, Paul Sinasohn writes:

And you can't NOT accept US cash, can you??

Do you mean legally? Or from a reputation perspective?

I don't think that you are legally required (in a mutually voluntary
transaction) to accept or not accept any particular form.

What does the term "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and
private" mean?  It's printed on all of our currency.

Um... I give. For that matter, what does "in God we Trust" mean? I don't.
Does that mean I can't use the money if I don't?

I think that whatever terms I arrange and which the other party accepts, are
binding. If I am not specific about how I want my payment, yes, I have to
take cash. But I *am* specific about it.

If the IRS thing is right, I'm guessing that my opinion is based on
misinformation.  Does anyone out there know?

The IRS pretty much does what it wants. They've taken the stance that they
will be paid only in forms convenient to them, they won't take checks
written on shirts (1)(2)either, they characterise all unusual payments as a
form of
"tax protest" similar to filing a frivolous return.

1 - "you've taken the shirt off my back, you bloodsucking leeches"
2 - even though a check *can* be written on any writable surface, technically...

++Lar