 Off-Topic / Debate / 8324
Re: It IS about Taxation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:19:26 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In any instance of distribution of my wealth, if I have >given permission, it is not theft.  But I think that anyone who wants my
wealth should ask, rather than seize.

  Can it not be argued that by participating in the monetary system deployed
by a government (in accordance, in the US, with the Constitution) a tax is
simply a "service charge" for using goverment property (money)?  That is, if
you don't want to pay tax, don't trade in the coin of the realm.  If you use
money as distributed by the Fed, tax is a corresponding duty for that use.
  I'm just asking--this isn't necessarily my view, but I'm curious about its
validity as an argument. If this is plowed ground, let me know.

That would be a reasonable argument if:

1. The IRS didn't try and get it's fingers into deals done without the
use of the coin of the realm (they have in fact gone after barter
exchanges, just try that on a big scale and find out what happens if you
do so).

2. The government allows, as Chris mentioned, competing monetary
systems. I'm not sure what laws are on the books here, but there are at
least some (such as defining "legal tender"). Of course some nations
have even stronger laws than we do (though in most places I think they
are much relaxed, but go back to the 60s or so, and see what would
happen if you flashed lots of US Dollars around in Russia... - of course
on the flip side of the coin, I'm not sure that there's anything wrong
with the laws some countries have had on taking their money out of the
country - if in fact it is ok for a government to define monetary system
then it is probably ok for them to restrict how it may be used, though
if they don't allow competing forms then their case is weakened).

3. The tax is closely related to the cost of managing the monetary
system.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com