 Off-Topic / Debate / 8323
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:12:34 GMT

So Christians, rise to the challenge if you can, otherwise, agree that
you can not support your conclusions by using the tools of debate and
critical thinking. If we can not use critical thinking and debate to
better understand Christianity, then this debate is totally worthless.

Big nitpick here. Also with Lar's reply. Your definition of worth is assumed
to be towards finding "the correct" belief. However, I find value in other
aspects of the debate, honestly.

You're right. When I read Frank's para, above, I did an un-shorthanding
where "worthless"=="not likely to have a clean resolution, and likely to go
on for a while" (not to be confused with my own use of worthless...)

You've explained how you are deriving worth, and that's good. It doesn't
actually require that the debate resolve, or terminate. It *does* require
that it not degenerate to repetition of the same material or dogmatism on
either side.

<snip>

I do like your theory of morality, but that's just a preference I expressed,
not an objective demonstration of validity.

++Lar