 Off-Topic / Debate / 8322
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:09:06 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
So Christians, rise to the challenge if you can, otherwise, agree that
you can not support your conclusions by using the tools of debate and
critical thinking. If we can not use critical thinking and debate to
better understand Christianity, then this debate is totally worthless.

Big nitpick here. Also with Lar's reply. Your definition of worth is assumed
to be towards finding "the correct" belief. However, I find value in other
aspects of the debate, honestly.

My point is that if the X (which really can be any group - I've just
been picking on Christians because they are the most visible here) say
"Our way is right, and you must not question it, just accept it." (which
is how I read much of what has been said here), then it is
useless/pointless to "debate" because such a statement isn't a debate.

By my own definitions of morality, I hold that it's fine for Christians to
go around trying to convert people. HOWEVER, it is wrong of them to believe
that if I don't accept their conversion, that I'm wrong.

I don't have a problem with attempted conversion so long as:

- If I ask you to shut up, you do (assuming we are discussing in a place
where it is acceptable for me to ask you to shut up - my home, work [for
which my employer has policies, which I suspect would exist regardless
as to whether the law required them].

- You don't try and use government institutions to do so (i.e. schools,
though I would remind everyone that ultimately, government must get out
of the school business - then we don't have to worry about the
government teaching evolution or any other scientific theory, courts,
etc.)

- You don't expect the government to enact laws based on your point of
view which are not supported by critical examination of a universal
rights basis (i.e. laws generally making murder a crime are ok, even
though the basis for them may have derrived from Christian teachings
since I think we can all agree that there is a basic universal right to
life which can not arbitrarily be revoked [we can argue separately about
the death penalty]).

I don't care what X believe, even that X might believe that I am wrong
to hold my belief so long as they respect my belief and do not use the
above mechanisms to "punish" me for my belief, and I in turn feel free
to believe that X are wrong (or at least don't have the right or best
answers).

for one am not going to accept that your "morality" is right without
being able to critically examine your assumptions.

I'm not sure if my intent was confused. I am talking about the
Christians assumptions, not Dave's.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com