 Off-Topic / Debate / 8348
Re: It IS about Taxation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:16:39 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
That would be a reasonable argument if:
3. The tax is closely related to the cost of managing the monetary
system.

Disagree.  If conditions one and two are in place, three needn't be.  I don't
care one whit what organization-x does with their internal policy.  In a system
of competing currencies, Bob's Green Bank could produce pretty USbob$10 bills
with holographic pandas, charge more for the use and use their profits to save
panda habitat.  If there is freedom of competing currencies, then the
USGovernment (just another large org) could charge whatever and do whatever
with their money.  Because then it wouldn't be _my_ money.

I'm not sure (I wasn't real sure about making that stipulation), but
there clearly are things which private organizations can be allowed to
do that governments can't (such as discrimination).

It probably does amount to a moot point since a monetary system which
had a higher usage fee than what was required to actually run the thing
would likely be pretty non-competitive (since if you support the idea of
whatever else is being supported with the fees it would probably be
easier to just directly fund that idea).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com