 Off-Topic / Debate / 8435
Re: It IS about Taxation ;-) (Was Re: (Sub|Ob)jectivity and related case studies on .debate (...or is it just about taxation :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:18:17 GMT

<zapped>

It appears to me that is the
areas where tax should spent which is where we differ on?

I think what you're saying is that we disagree about what should be funded.
But I don't think so.  I can have a discussion about what tax money (setting
aside that the concept of taxation is evil) should be doing.  And I think,
though this might surprise you, that you and I would agree on a huge amount of
stuff.

If taxation were not evil -- and I were in favor of it, or if we're talking
about what a behavior a government should be incenting, given our modern
context, I think that the following things are most important:

- Education of the highest quality possible for the highest number possible.
- Keeping people fed while they get their education
- The assurance that our global neighbors are behaving

<zapped>

But what about police, "defence", courts, and some sort of governmental
foreign policy office?

Scott A