 Off-Topic / Debate / 8434
Re: Is space property?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:04:31 GMT

<picking kernel bits out of my teeth>Golly!</picking>

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

(though I
don't feel that "fair" means we all have the same amount).

  It doesn't.  The lifestyle we enjoy in the US, UK, Europe (as a whole),
  Japan, Oceania, Canada, etc etc., (read "The West") is untenable.  The
  only way we can have the things we do is by extracting labour at
  impossibly cheap rates from approximately 85% of the world's population.
  The environment also can't handle our current rates of consumption.
  "Fair" is too tricky, although an even distribution would mean that
  we'd likely all be operating at about rural Mexico's level of prosper-
  ity.

I don't see how this paragraph supports the idea that "fair" isn't an even
distribution.  I mean, I basically agree with what you're saying, but I
don't see the connection to defining what "fair" would be.

  part, "third world" is a glib overgeneralization--while there may
  be some farm workers who are happy in a few small areas, the vast
  majority are highly exploited in differing ways.

Why is it that a man in the US can make a living farming ten acres and live
happily, but that doesn't commonly happen elsewhere?

  For example, the
  farms in much of Central America are devoted to growing cash crops
  under a plantation system, and the company both pays the workers
  *and* controls the food, rents, and services--and their prices--
  that they must consume.   It's 21st-century sharecropping, in the
  name of maximizing profit for the company while providing an item
  for our consumption at the lowest cost.

It seems to me that in the late 1700s the British colonists in North America
had it much better than these people, and yet 'we' (well, some of 'us')
chose to rebel and do our own thing.  I understand that the distribution of
land was moved around as a result.  Why don't Central Americans
rebel with enough cohesion to win so that they can redistribute their land and
work it in peace for themselves?  Is it just that they don't know
their options?

  In Zimbabwe, for example,
  I don't agree with Mugabe's farm invasions--but he does have a
  point that the farm owners--the vast majority white settlers--
  seek to make the greatest possible profit from the workers' labour,
  and for that reason they perpetuate the same exploitive system
  supposedly destroyed in 1980.  I could go on, all over the African
  continent, much of Asia (although less now than in 1950), South
  America, and so forth.  It's become a very corporatist world, and
  the European ideal of the small farmer just doesn't exist anymore,
  save in a few areas with particularly strong traditions and, more
  importantly, a very limited experience with colonial rule.

Like The West?

  The part that I find really disturbing is laying the blame for
  the troubles of "developing nations" (a very very bad term) on
  the people themselves.  This is the panacea that's been touted by
  European nations to explain away the poverty of the South and
  East--"if only they'd do this or that, they'd be like us; the
  fact that they don't means they get what they deserve."

That famous Chilean economist whose name is escaping me right now recently
published the results of an analysis of developing nations looking
for the significant cause of their poverty.  What he came up with is that most
of the nations we would now call "third world" don't have an
infrastructure that supports ownership of business.  They have tradition that
allows people to own their bakery (for instance) but the government
doesn't keep records of that ownership, and by extension guarantee that they
will continue owning it.  Because of that lack of stability, the
owners can't get loans like we in the "civilized" world can using our
businesses as collateral.  And thus can't improve.

To whatever extent that analysis is correct, it is at least partly the fault of
the people in those nations...even if it's really only the fault of the
leaders.  The people in charge all went to college in The West, so they ought
to know how such things are supposed to be.  If they're not
working to correct them, then they're purposely screwing their fellows.  Their
citizenry ought to rise up and stone them.

  and maybe enough
  money finally to afford to send one child away to school.

That's the big payoff too.  I had a West African coworker who sent about 60% of
his US income back to his family.  He told me that he alone
made so much that his contribution ot them was more than half of the family's
income.  Of course, as a proper Westerner, I just thought that
would be a great place to go retire in ten years after I saved a few $100K.
:-)

  We (again, the writ-large West) unfortunately have an economic
  interest in continued human misery.  As far as fighting for better

So what do we do about it?  I tend to buy foods produced in the US, so that
minimizes my personal contribution to the economic enslavement
of those other people, but how can our nation turn around and make it better?
Like the flaw that you point out in Frank's suggestion about open
borders, I have a hard time believing that refusing to buy their goods is
actually going to help them.

  As far as the US being an importer or exporter of food, it has
  much to do with megafarming or corporate farming--operating on
  such a huge scale that automation becomes affordable and even
  cheaper than human assistance.  All farming is not equal.

Cheaper in the short term.  A man can get more food per acre out of three acres
than can a factory farm out of 4000.  And he can do it without
causing far reaching ecological damage.  As a libertopian, I would like to see
projective costs included in our ears of corn, and then compare the
cost of buying human-grown or robot-grown corn.  I bet we'd be surprised.

  It's not enough to say "we need to lend a hand to those still
  at the base of the cliff", because we're the ones who pushed
  them off of the top in the first place.  The entire system--
  its values, goals, and reasoning--needs to change.

How?

  The United States behaves
  in much the same way as the colonial powers of old, performing
  similar feats of exploitation without incurring for ourselves
  the cost of administration and rule (and the international obloquy
  that attends such things).

But this really is why the Brits who formed the United States left King George.
'We' saw the economic relationship as unfairly advantageous to
the king and we forcefully resisted.  Why don't others?

Thanks Lindsay,

Chris