 Off-Topic / Debate / 8408
8407  |  8409
Subject:
Is space property?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 19:04:34 GMT

Howdy and Merry Christmas all,

As you probably know, I'm one of the property-rights be-all libertarians here.
But I've been fixating on the role of land (or locations) as property.  I have
talked about the generation of property (e.g. jars of clay) from almost
nothing, and why that property should be protected.  But it seems like
locations are in a different class.

For one thing, without the _right_ to property (not just the right to try to
acquire some), that is -- the right to a location in which you can exist, then
you don't have the right to exist.  So I'm thinking that our traditional stance
that land is just another commodity is flawed.  Now that I've come to this, I'm
not sure what land is, if it's not just another commodity.

What rights to space do humans inherently have?  Maybe that idealized notion of
the native Americans that land isn't ownable is more valid than I have spent my
life believing.  Or maybe that's not right either.

Can I be a hardline anarcho-capitalist and think that land should be socially
distributed?  In a (admittedly nonstandard) Libertarian system, the government
could "own" (maybe manage is a better term) all the land, and part of making
sure that citizens were protected would be to make sure that they had a place.
Does that dilute the whole point of libertarianism too much?  I don't think so,
because I _think_ that land is the only thing that isn't fair to consider
normal property.  Well, I guess air is another.

Oh damn.  If air is a funny commodity too, then why not food?  What's special
about air?  Is it just that it's not made (exactly) by humans?

Thoughts?

Chris