 Off-Topic / Debate / 8413
Re: Is space property?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Goeb writes:

Short answer NO.

But, why not?

Long answer:
However Space-Time can be a form of limited property, and *must* be so!!!

I don't buy the must part.  I think what you mean is "ought to," right?

This is due to the reality of SPACE. When people think of space they are
woofully ignorant as to what they are refering to. A 5m^3 chunk of space
200 miles above earth for example projects an occuping space(time) that
loops around the Sun each year and is several million miles long.

It simply depends on your inertial frame of reference.  Why stop there?  That
same space is also spinning about the galactic core and rocketing away from the
center of the universe.  But none of that matters if you're just looking at it
from Earth.

Not what you expected at all.

Well, at least it's not exactly what I meant.  I was talking more specifically
about land, but used space to keep the idea more generic.  On the other hand, I
suppose that "air space" needs to be addressed if the concept of owning land is
valid.  How far up does your ownership extend?  Do you sometimes own Alpha
centauri too?

In the generic sense, of course, you're right that those are practical
considerations involved in the exodus into space.  What do the owners of
satelites do now?  Does anyone coordinate orbit paths?

So some one has to OWN (license, reserve
whatever) that tube of space-time to avoid crashing into others.

Well, they don't have to.  I don't own, license, or reserve (in any even
vaguely formal sense) the area on the highway that I take up while I drive.
But I'm responsible for making sure that my property doesn't endanger anyone
else's.

Just wandering in and saying this place is cool I'm hanging for a few
months may result in a unexpected intercept later on. Very un-cool [/:-)

Yes, possibly very uncool.  But illegal or immoral?  When and when not?

Chris