 Off-Topic / Debate / 8431
Re: Is space property?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:51:35 GMT

   Warning:

   Long, long rant by the resident imperial historian follows.
   Grab a donut (or an ear of corn, if you're a Middle American
   like myself).  ;)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Paul Baulch wrote:
Should I compare the paunchy, corn-fed Middle American with a nuclear
family, two cars, a big house in the 'burbs and enough disposable income to
amass a considerable Lego collection, complaining about the government
talking from him what is effectively luxury wealth, when there are two
billion other human beings in the world who work four times harder than him,
for a bowl of rice a day? That troubles my sense of fairness a great deal -
and it would explain why, when I heard people protesting/whinging about
paying tax, I felt tempted to tell them to "get stuffed".

I do find it unsettling that the majority of humanity doesn't live under
the same conditions I do, but I don't see a clean way to get from where
we are now, to a utopia where everyone has a "fair" allotment of "stuff"
(life necessities, goods, peace of mind, health, whatever). I'm not even
really sure what my definitions of "fair" and "stuff" would be (though I
don't feel that "fair" means we all have the same amount).

   It doesn't.  The lifestyle we enjoy in the US, UK, Europe (as a whole),
   Japan, Oceania, Canada, etc etc., (read "The West") is untenable.  The
   only way we can have the things we do is by extracting labour at
   impossibly cheap rates from approximately 85% of the world's population.
   The environment also can't handle our current rates of consumption.
   "Fair" is too tricky, although an even distribution would mean that
   we'd likely all be operating at about rural Mexico's level of prosper-
   ity.

I do find your opinion troubling. You wish to tell me to "get stuffed"
because I have all these nifty toys to play with, yet feel the system of
taxation is unfair (but I would remind you - I might be quite happy to
give as much or more of my income to charity than currently is given
between how the government allocates my tax dollars, and the additional
money I give directly to charity), yet you obviously are happily
involved in the same "luxury" hobby.

   I'll agree there.  However, this may be only because I effectively
   pay *no* taxes--making, as I do, less than $15K a year, which does
   not count tuition stipends and other cost waivers that are not
   considered taxable because they are "granted educational services."

   What about the ABS affliction we all share?  Well, it's made in
   Europe, packaged in Europe or the US, and the like, so chances
   are it's significantly less exploitive than, say, sugar cane.
   However I have no idea where the ABS itself comes from--Bhopal,
   perhaps?  (That plant is still running, last I heard.  At least
   Russia finally shut down Chernobyl.)  I try to placate myself
   with the thought that the logical ability I build by playing
   can help to build case studies that will eventually serve in
   the cause of global justice--tortured logic, I know, but I do
   need to sleep at night.

I also happen to believe that a totally free market with "taxes" only
covering a minimum of services, and said taxes being as close to user
fees as possible, that we would all be better off. I would also point
out that the farm worker in a "third world" country may be happy just
the way he is (though I suspect most would definitely be happier with a
better government, and almost assuredly would be better off with better
health care and more availability of food). I would also lay most of the
blame for the conditions of living in the "third world" on the people
themselves. We (US and Europe) have better conditions primarily because
we fought for them. We demand that the government treat us fairly, and
that a court system exist which limits the ability of the rich and
powerful to screw us over. We also have dramatically reduced our
birthrate so that we are not overwhelming the resources of our countries
(though of course we are also importing huge quantities of food, but I
also feel like I've heard before that the US is actually a net exporter
of food).

   ***SCREEEEECH***  Whoa!

   The above passage starts off troubling and gets worse.  In the first
   part, "third world" is a glib overgeneralization--while there may
   be some farm workers who are happy in a few small areas, the vast
   majority are highly exploited in differing ways.  For example, the
   farms in much of Central America are devoted to growing cash crops
   under a plantation system, and the company both pays the workers
   *and* controls the food, rents, and services--and their prices--
   that they must consume.   It's 21st-century sharecropping, in the
   name of maximizing profit for the company while providing an item
   for our consumption at the lowest cost.  In Zimbabwe, for example,
   I don't agree with Mugabe's farm invasions--but he does have a
   point that the farm owners--the vast majority white settlers--
   seek to make the greatest possible profit from the workers' labour,
   and for that reason they perpetuate the same exploitive system
   supposedly destroyed in 1980.  I could go on, all over the African
   continent, much of Asia (although less now than in 1950), South
   America, and so forth.  It's become a very corporatist world, and
   the European ideal of the small farmer just doesn't exist anymore,
   save in a few areas with particularly strong traditions and, more
   importantly, a very limited experience with colonial rule.

   The part that I find really disturbing is laying the blame for
   the troubles of "developing nations" (a very very bad term) on
   the people themselves.  This is the panacea that's been touted by
   European nations to explain away the poverty of the South and
   East--"if only they'd do this or that, they'd be like us; the
   fact that they don't means they get what they deserve."  Africa
   as a continent has a billion people--if you take it by total land
   area, the population isn't bursting at the seams; in fact, it's
   not much different than Europe and much lower than Japan.  High
   infant mortality, low life expectancy, and relatively brutal con-
   ditions mean that if a family is to remain viable, it must reproduce to
   sell the only thing that the global market finds of value in it--
   its labour.  More people, more labour, more income, and maybe enough
   money finally to afford to send one child away to school.  That's
   how Europe worked in agricultural and early industrial days,
   and that's how our "periphery" works now under similar conditions.
   (Note that this is for the masses, not for the elite privileged few.)
   The big difference is that when Europe's conditions were showing
   signs of betterment, there wasn't a bigger, stronger kid on the block
   beating it up and taking its proverbial lunch money every morning.
   We (again, the writ-large West) unfortunately have an economic
   interest in continued human misery.  As far as fighting for better
   things, better lives, better institutions--I would defy you to find
   more powerful movements for justice than those in Africa and Asia
   during the second half of this century.

   There's no definitive answer on how much capital the West has removed
   from Africa, Asia, and Latin America over the last five hundred
   years, in either labour or materials, and it's a great point of
   argument among global historians.  I have pages upon pages of
   reference materials for those who want it, but the general
   agreement is that the numbers are enormous and the overall effect
   of this extraction was crippling.  Andre Gunder Frank [ReOrient],
   for one contentious example, has made a good case that the looting
   of African labour and American precious metals made it possible for
   Europe to fund its growth and subjugate the much richer countries
   of Asia who, to that point, had no interest in the dirty barbarians
   from the West and were far superior both militarily and
   economically. [2]

   As far as the US being an importer or exporter of food, it has
   much to do with megafarming or corporate farming--operating on
   such a huge scale that automation becomes affordable and even
   cheaper than human assistance.  All farming is not equal.

Of course there is also something to be said for those who
have climbed the cliff first to give a hand to those still at the base
of the cliff. One way I'd like to see the US change which would make
that lending a hand work better would be to scrap the immigration laws.
Don't make Mexican workers have to practically sign up as slaves to be
able to get a job in the US doing stuff no US citizen wants to do. If
the Mexicans (and other Central and South Americans) could freely enter
the country, they would have the ability to tell the abusive farmers:
"Good bye, I'm going to work across the street for that other farmer who
makes sure I have the proper protective gear and pays twice as much as
you do."

   This would merely force the farms to pass the cost along to the
   consumer, trebling the amount we pay now (or more) [1].  The end
   result is that it would be cheaper to import from elsewhere,
   thus destroying US agriculture.  That very scenario has played
   out in numerous industries around the world for hundreds of
   years--textiles being the most obvious, including the famous
   destruction of the Indian luxury textile market by cheap and
   shoddy English product long before official British control
   of the country.  In the end the situation reversed itself, but
   only once British labour was busily producing even more
   capital-intensive items.

   It's not enough to say "we need to lend a hand to those still
   at the base of the cliff", because we're the ones who pushed
   them off of the top in the first place.  The entire system--
   its values, goals, and reasoning--needs to change.  To define
   our goal as giving "them" what "we" have is pure neoimperial
   development theory, and it's only one step removed from Kipling's
   "White Man's Burden."  It's the same flawed idealism that informed
   our political behaviour in Viet Nam, the Philippines [4], Haiti,
   Iran, Iraq, etc., and it practically put Mao, Khomeini, and
   Castro into power, if only because they offered an alternative
   to being treated like errant children by the same pompous
   Powers that created the original problem by fracturing local
   economies and civil societies.  The United States behaves
   in much the same way as the colonial powers of old, performing
   similar feats of exploitation without incurring for ourselves
   the cost of administration and rule (and the international obloquy
   that attends such things).  When is imperialism not imperialism?
   When it's American! [3]

   Anyways, just my two cents.  I simply feel that we need to
   be honest with ourselves and the rest of the world (there's
   another loaded phrase!) about the implications of our lifestyle
   and its eventual untenability.  The eventual hope is that the
   level of thought and industry made possible here can still be
   converted into a workable system for all people--but my optimism
   drains daily.  I do love my country, but we have a loooong way to
   go before we're model world citizens. [5]

   (*Phew!*)

   best

   LFB

   [1] It also requires a certain amount of general education on
       the part of the worker to know his or her rights, what is
       available, what safety recommendations are--another thing
       that much of the world still has no access to.

   [2] There's still argument over why these advantages never
       translated into a search for global domination, but I
       read it as European excentrism--nobody sought Europe out,
       but all over the Western Pacific and even in Europe, all
       sorts of peoples great and small sought out and exalted
       China, bringing the Emperors gifts, favourable trade
       conditions, and some even professions of fealty.  There's
       not much of a push to go anywhere when everyone comes to
       you (and gives you things)!

   [3] As for US cultural imperialism, especially in Europe,
       Canada, and so forth, it requires much more collaboration
       from the "imperialized."  One can stop buying Disney and
       be just fine, but one cannot stop working to earn money
       to buy food and medicine!

   [4] Kipling's poem was in fact written to herald the US
       acceptance of the mantle of an Imperial Power following
       the Spanish-American War. (Apologies for this being before
       note 3.)

   [5] I'm saying "United States" and "West", which today are
       very fluid categories--it can include corporate interests
       as well as the government that supports them and responds
       to them.  But the government-industry axis is another rant
       for another day.