 Off-Topic / Debate / 8350
Re: It IS about Taxation ;-) (Was Re: (Sub|Ob)jectivity and related case studies on .debate (...or is it just about taxation :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:05:29 GMT

And substituting words, you ask "Why does organization-x need permission to
steal from you?"  In any instance of distribution of my wealth, if I have • given
permission, it is not theft.  But I think that anyone who wants my wealth
should ask, rather than seize.

Do they not ask you each and every time there is an election in the US?
Sure, I expect you were out-voted - but that is democracy for you!
...In that context, how can taxation be theft?

Your stace here is (if I understand you correctly) that since a bunch of people
think taking my money is OK, that I don't have a right to call it theft.

I don't think that makes any sense.  No number of opinions in favor, make
stealing OK.  No number of opinions in favor of servitude based on skin tone
makes it moral.  No number of opinions stating that murdering left-handed
children is appropriate makes it so.  Evil is evil.  Stealing, murdering, and
enslavement are all (generally) evil.  The fact that things run
(somewhat) smoothly if we participate in evil doesn't make it a good thing to
do.

Chris