 Off-Topic / Debate / 8392
Re: It IS about Taxation ;-) (Was Re: (Sub|Ob)jectivity and related case studies on .debate (...or is it just about taxation :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 17:34:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Baulch writes:

That is an entirely inappropriate substitution - I'm not asking why the
government needs permission to "steal from me", I'm asking why it needs it
to "tax me" - already you are paraphrasing me using the propostion that I'm
explitictly disagreeing with.

Would it be your claim that it is impossible for the government to steal from a
citizen?

Anyway, as to whether the government needs to "ask" for your tax - have you
not already agreed to abide by its laws,

I have not.

one of which involves paying tax?
If you don't agree with it's laws, then why haven't you emigrated yet?

Nowhere to go.

Are you saying that if you are _pressured_ into being in this society and
paying tax, that such tax is stealing?

Pressured with the threat of death is not just a little pressure.  So yes.  I
am saying that anytime someone (anyone) takes your resources, and your only
option is to die (failing) to prevent the taking of your money, that it is
one form of stealing.

To draw an analogy,  if I charge a
penniless man in the desert dying of thirst $1 for a drink of water, am I
being selfish? Inhumane? Certainly.

Not at all certain.  What if it is your last drink?  But I know that
this is not what you meant.  Assuming that you're camped on an oasis, have no
real limit, and no over-riding reason to wish that person ill, then sure,
you're being a prick.

Am I committing an act of theft?

This 'analogy' isn't analagous to what my government does.  What they do is
charge the $1 based on the pretext that they will supply a drink.  Then, they
supply a third of a drink of stale water when I could have paid $.50 for a nice
tall glass of lemonaid on the market that had lots and lots of water.  If next
year when they ask for their $1 for water, when you politely decline, they
shoot you in the head.

So perhaps you think you can question the morality of mandatory tax on
grounds of being unfair/inhumane, rather than being stealing?

No, if it's all the same to you, I would prefer to stick to the subject at hand
at least until someone demonstrates that taxation is not a form of theivery.
But thanks for the input.

Chris