 Off-Topic / Debate / 6483
Re: Bridges (was Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:46:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

A really cool bridge (in a number of ways) is the Confederation Bridge • that
links P.E.I. to the rest of Canada.  I learned about it from a case study • of
good engineering, and it's also a strong case for good economics and
feasability of privatization.

Ersatz privatization I would have to say... the government is giving an
operating subsidy to the tune of 40M CDN a year it seemed like. That • doesn't
count as true privatization. With Auto tolls at something like 25 CDN a
crossing, this looks like a bridge that doesn't make economic sense, at • least
not superficially.

Of course one should compare the toll cost to the ferry fare. If the
toll cost is significantly below the ferry fare, then it probably does
make economic sense. Of course one has to factor in the subsidy also,
best way to do that of course is add the per trip subsidy of the bridge
to the toll, and the per trip subsidy to the ferry fare and then
compare.

c /ferry fare/true cost of the ferry/ and I agree. (the ferry was government
subsidised as well.

That's what I was getting at by saying that adding the per trip subsidy of
each method is necessary for a complete comparison.

Frank