 Off-Topic / Debate / 6451
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
This contradicts an email I got from a Webring representative a couple years
ago, saying that I could in fact use 'Webring' on a system entirely separate
from theirs.  But in that time they very well may have aquired those rights.

Oops, looks like I misspoke(wrote).  I just went back to the USPTO search
page

   http://trademarks.uspto.gov/access/search-mark.html

and searched again with the "Registered" radio button selected (instead of
"Both") and it didn't show up there, but showed up under "Pending."  Thus,
it appears that the mark isn't yet registered.  It says that applications
were filed on 14 & 21 Oct 1998.  BTW, I think I remember reading somewhere
that the above search is delayed by 2 months, so it might actually be
registered by now (I think it would cost a lot more $ do find out for sure).

Technically, couldn't I still use the name 'Lego Maniac's WebRing' off-site,
since I've used that name for 3.5 years - before Yahoo's servicemark??

IANAL, but I sure wouldn't try that after finding out today that "WEBRING"
has been applied for at the USPTO -- too risky, IMHO.  Also, INTERLEGO AG
has a registered trademark on "THE LEGO MANIAC" which was filed in 1989 and
granted in 1990.

--Todd