 Off-Topic / Debate / 6445
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:32:57 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:G13t90.194@lugnet.com...
2 - is Web Ring a trademark? I dunno. What else can you call it, though?

According to the USPTO, Yahoo! (via GeoCities) has a registered • servicemark
on WEBRING, with pseudo marks WEB RING and WE BRING, in the goods and • services
category of "Computer software, namely a navigation tool that enables • users
of a global computer network to obtain access to linked websites that • contain
information and services related to specific subset areas."

Thus, if any webring is moved off of Yahoo!, it should avoid using the • word
"Webring" in its title.

--Todd

ObDisclaimer: IANAL

This contradicts an email I got from a Webring representative a couple years
ago, saying that I could in fact use 'Webring' on a system entirely separate
from theirs.  But in that time they very well may have aquired those rights.

Technically, couldn't I still use the name 'Lego Maniac's WebRing' off-site,
since I've used that name for 3.5 years - before Yahoo's servicemark??
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne