 Off-Topic / Debate / 6452
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
2:I refute that time is money, BTW - if that were so, then in theory they
would convert in either direction across the equation, which they don't.  I
can invest time to get money (with varying efficiency), but have yet to find • a
way to invest money and get time. :)

Not as a sure thing. However, look into extropianism and life extension.
That's an example of investing money in the (currently longshot) hopes of
getting time (as in time added to your lifespan to do more stuff). :-)

Another way to turn money into time is to pay someone else to do stuff for you
so you don't have to spend the time on it yourself. In fact, our whole economy
is based on the fact that you can turn money into time in this fashion (and in
fact, the fundamental basis for civilization as I understand it, going all the
way back to the stone age of "if you watch my kid, I go get food for all of
us"). Now what is true is that you can't just assign the value of every hour
of your life the hourly wage you earn. Some activities you will do because you
enjoy them (I suspect very few of us would pay someone to build LEGO
constructions for us, though many of us would probably pay someone to sort our
bricks). Also, obviously, many of us don't have a real choice to decide to
work longer hours to get the money to pay for avoiding doing something we
don't want to spend the time on.

Frank