 Off-Topic / Debate / 6444
Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:06:27 GMT

<snip>
Here's a quandary, though. Web rings cost money.
<snip, extraction mine>

In theory, they don't. (or rather, the cost is inherently shared between all
participants by their very participation)  The basic functionality of a
webring is all in the 4 (or so) lines of code on each individual member page.
The admin tools, ring forums, central lists, etc. are all just gravy.  So each
member ponies up the "cost" for the webring by paying their ISP for the couple
of bytes of webspace, technically.

That being said, what webrings cost is *time*, which, in my books anyway, is
much more valuable than money.(2)

I don't want to pay. I want to get some advertiser to pay by seeing his ads.
It's not fair to ask Tim or Todd to pay, is it?

No more fair than it is asking you to pay (in time more than money) for your
factoring service - but you choose to do it because it adds value to the
community, and you get some sick, twisted satisfaction out of that. <G&D>

I personally don't have the time or (in many cases) the skill set to add value
to the community that way, so I do it in other ways.(1)

I want to remain part of the community and stay in the ring. Should I have to
pay in order to satisfy *your* desire not to see ads? (and your definition of
what porno is...) We're talking of fractions of a cent here but this is about
principle.... :-)

Well, on principle then... Contribute time/money/effort towards a better
webring design that allows individuals to choose how they pay.

...Or if that isn't practical, there's basically two choices.  1: evaluate the
options, and hash it out ahead of time, with everyone (eventually) supporting
the most popular option; or 2: everyone inclined to set up a webring does so,
and market forces decide the issue.

1:Financially, and I also try to contribute meaningfully in discussion -
sometimes I even succeed. ;)

2:I refute that time is money, BTW - if that were so, then in theory they
would convert in either direction across the equation, which they don't.  I
can invest time to get money (with varying efficiency), but have yet to find a
way to invest money and get time. :)

James