 Off-Topic / Debate / 6461
Re: Swapping money for time (was Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 06:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
James Brown wrote:
can invest time to get money (with varying efficiency), but have yet to find • a
way to invest money and get time. :)

Every time you pay someone else to do something you could do yourself,
you invest money to get time. Cleaning services, diaper servies, oil
change services... I'd class all of those that way.

-ish.  I would argue that the above aren't turning money into time, just
letting me spend time more efficiently.

I boil it down to:  I can spend 8 hours, and a modicum of effort, and
earn/generate a certain amount of money.  i.e. Larry's creation of wealth.
There is no way currently known (except possibly to some very obscure
physicists) for me to spend any combination of money or effort and have an
extra hour in a day.  All that I can do is rearrange how efficiently I spend
the 24 I have.

(we are, of course, arguing semantics.) :)

James