 Off-Topic / Debate / 6515
Re: Resolved: Yahoo is good for the 'net (was Re: Lego Maniac's Webring and Yahoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:37:28 GMT

I'm confused - what do you mean you can't customize it?  The links are all
standard links, just rewrite the tables, and make it look any way you want.

Or are you saying that that would violate their TOS or something?

Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
Wow, wait, so lemme see if I can get this straight -- ? -- under the new
Yahoo! Webring system, your ring logo has to be no bigger than 50x50 pixels,
and they add their own gunk by it?  What kind of gunk do they put in there?
Little banner ads and stuff?

Are there any examples up yet of people using the new Yahoo! Webring system?
(I'm not doubting any of what I'm hearing, I just wanna see it so I can fully
grok what changes have occurred.)

--Todd

Here's a sample page:

http://www.zacktron.com/ring/yahoo.html

Its not as bad as I originally feared - but the limited logo size and
standardized navbar is a definite drawback to the new system.  I'm SHOCKED
that Yahoo wasn't mentioned ANYWHERE on the code.

I'm still beefing (though not as much now) that you can't customize it like
people have customized code in the past.  In the past, users have integrated
the webring code into their own custom look and feel.  This limits that - and
standardizes it (I can pick colors though) for all of the sites.

So, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the ring stayed with Yahoo.  Its
still a drawback from the freedom they offered before.  I still want to enable
the system Todd and I talked about on Lugnet - but of course that's up to him.

Thoughts?

-Tim

--
Tom Stangl