 Off-Topic / Debate / 6517
6516  |  6518
Subject:
Transclusion via JavaScript (was: Re: Resolved: Yahoo is good for the 'net)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 17:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
I'm confused - what do you mean you can't customize it?  The links are all
standard links, just rewrite the tables, and make it look any way you want.

Or are you saying that that would violate their TOS or something?

Its all javascript, generated from the Yahoo server.  All they give you is
a small tag for javascript, then Yahoo spits out that content for you.  Eg.
if you aren't a member of the ring (not approved yet), all that will show up
will be the top WebRing gray bar.

:(

Interesting from an HTML/geek point of view!  So, in the real shebang, they
give something akin to

   <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="http://foohoo.com/ringid=foo&siteid=foo">
     blah blah
   </SCRIPT>

and then they, what, look at the siteid within the ringid and spit out either
the full thing or just the gray bar?  I guess that means they could put
whatever they want in there later, if they decide to stuff ads in.  But
imagine the backlash if they tried that.

Anyway, that's an interesting underlying technique!  HTML never natively had
transclusion of content except for images, but this is a way to transclude
arbitrary text content if you assume that the reader's browser can execute JS
content.

What does the SRC= attribute of the <SCRIPT> tag look like, for example?  I'd
like to see what they spit back for raw JS code.  I bet it's just a bunch of
documen.write() calls, but it might not hurt to check it for possible nasties.

--Todd