 Off-Topic / Debate / 6482
Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 02:25:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:
Well, I thought that it was clear as soon as I said I had taken part in an
arranged marriage.  I do know well enough that the practice still exist- even
here in the USA- but I thought that placed me well within the bounds of
fiction.

I know a couple from Bengal (in India) that had an arranged marriage!  Didn't
meet until their wedding day.  I had no reason to think you weren't being
serious!

Ummm, ok... here goes. (ramble ahead- beware)

I know a couple from India as well, who has had an arranged marriage.

I also know a whole branch of my extended family, who are orthodox Jews, that
have had all their marriages arranged, not to mention their childrens' (some
only a little over my age). Don't think for a second that I agree with that...
but they don't listen to me (I'm a female!).

Sorry Eric, I knew you weren't being serious <smile> - but just coz you
mentioned arranged marriage didn't put you beyond the bounds of fiction... I
think for me it was the dowry <grin>.

OTOH, yes, the women of these family don't work, of course they also don't
think of going to work and thus don't give their husbands a reason to beat
them (uhhhh... that doesn't mean they would otherwise, K? I dunno. I don't
talk with them often. Don't wanna point fingers...).

However, Eric is a swell guy

Shhhhhhhhh!  Jeez.

Had a good laugh at this'n... ;-)

-Shiri