 Off-Topic / Debate / 6347
Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:24:10 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

I know a couple from Bengal (in India) that had an arranged marriage!  Didn't
meet until their wedding day.  I had no reason to think you weren't being
serious!

It's very popular here in Turkey, especially in small towns and
villages. The couple knows each other before the wedding generally, but
it is not needed the marriage to be the decision and or desire of the
couple (not of the girl, especially). If the fathers of the both sides
agreed on marriage (depend highly on the money -"baslik money"- given by
boy's father to the girl's father) the marriage will be realized,
otherwise not. Tradition, huh?.. I call it TRADE...

Selçuk