 Off-Topic / Debate / 6348
Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:48:15 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In the meantime, let me offer the suggestion of turning back time 20 years
to being a kid:  Pretend that you were born in 1993 and you are now entering
this debate.  What would be your viewpoint as a 7-year-old?  What arguments
would you put forth arguments in favor of one side or the other?  How would
you react to the adults viewpoints expressed recently?

--Todd

It's a cultural thing completely. We don't have any racist issues in our
entire history (yes, there is some religious and ethnic discrimination
from time to time, but not any related to skin color) so both race
discrimination and political correctness is not part of our culture in
anyway.  (we don't have two different words for black people, like
English words "negro" and "black/african american", especially not with
a derogatory meaning.) Our race is white (of course darker than any
average north European) and we have not so many black citizens around,
but we had a black family living in our neighborhood, and I can't
remember anything bad against them from the other people.

Surrounded by this "color blind" environment, "all yellow minifigs" was
not so much an issue to think about when I was a child. When we were
playing, while role-playing to recreate a movie, role-playing a black
hero was not different than a white hero. Same thing was also valid for
playing with lego and playmobil, we didn't have any problem assigning
yellow minifigs (pink playmobil guys) as originally black heroes.

Selçuk