 Off-Topic / Debate / 6344
Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:

I don't think it was 100% crystal clear that Eric wasn't being serious.

Well, I thought that it was clear as soon as I said I had taken part in an
arranged marriage.  I do know well enough that the practice still exist- even
here in the USA- but I thought that placed me well within the bounds of
fiction.  Live and learn.

I know a couple from Bengal (in India) that had an arranged marriage!  Didn't
meet until their wedding day.  I had no reason to think you weren't being
serious!

And the example was wasted on me anyway, since I was presenting the scenario as
I think Lego conceives of it, not as I do.  For my part, sacred cow makes the
best hamburger.
:-)

But now that I understand where you were going, it made me laugh!  I agree.

If ... I
didn't know that he was a swell guy anyway who would never advocate
domestic violence, I might be disturbed as well.

Hmm.  Well, to be clear, I think that domestic violence is totally repugnant.
The things I would like to do to men who raise a hand to a woman aren't fit to
be repeated on Lugnet.  I thought for a moment before I raised the bar on
harmful tradition examples in my post to that level, and I guess I didn't • think
long enough.  I certainly wasn't trying to equate the two, I was just throwing
out "traditions" that have been discarded.

Yeah, maybe Lego should outgrow its yellow tradition, but it would be shocking
to have natural fleshtones next to those jaundiced yellow guys.

However, Eric is a swell guy

Shhhhhhhhh!  Jeez.

and he was simply giving an faux anecdote to
make a point, albeit facetiously and somewhat flippantly.  Please try to
take that into account.  :-)

Yeah.  I thought it would be a little more amusing- and get the point across
better- than simply saying that all traditions get thrown over eventually.

So, you are saying its a tradition to throw out tradition?  I'm not sure how
to resolve that.  :-)

Bruce