 Off-Topic / Debate / 6342
Re: What would a kid think? (Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:56:54 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:

I don't think it was 100% crystal clear that Eric wasn't being serious.

Well, I thought that it was clear as soon as I said I had taken part in an
arranged marriage.  I do know well enough that the practice still exist- even
here in the USA- but I thought that placed me well within the bounds of
fiction.  Live and learn.

If ... I
didn't know that he was a swell guy anyway who would never advocate
domestic violence, I might be disturbed as well.

Hmm.  Well, to be clear, I think that domestic violence is totally repugnant.
The things I would like to do to men who raise a hand to a woman aren't fit to
be repeated on Lugnet.  I thought for a moment before I raised the bar on
harmful tradition examples in my post to that level, and I guess I didn't think
long enough.  I certainly wasn't trying to equate the two, I was just throwing
out "traditions" that have been discarded.

However, Eric is a swell guy

Shhhhhhhhh!  Jeez.

and he was simply giving an faux anecdote to
make a point, albeit facetiously and somewhat flippantly.  Please try to
take that into account.  :-)

Yeah.  I thought it would be a little more amusing- and get the point across
better- than simply saying that all traditions get thrown over eventually.

In the meantime, let me offer the suggestion of turning back time 20 years
to being a kid:  Pretend that you were born in 1993 and you are now entering
this debate.  What would be your viewpoint as a 7-year-old?  What arguments
would you put forth arguments in favor of one side or the other?  How would
you react to the adults viewpoints expressed recently?

Hmmmm.  That is, of course, the best way to look at things.  I can't say that I
can fully take on the mindset of a child born in 1993- 20 years after I was
actually born- because every generation really has it's own pressures and
issues while growing up, which change over time.  I can say a couple of things,
though:

I've read a lot of psychology papers that claim that racial issues are simply
not something that kids have, they are taught.  I don't know how true that is,
but I can say that in my experience watching kids, it's true.  Now, I'm not a
kindergarten teacher or anything like that, but that's what I've seen.

I can also say that as a child myself I never thought twice about the color of
minifigs not mapping over to the real world's diversity.  Then again, one has
to keep two things in mind:  First, I was not, as a child, confronted with
racial issues on a day-to-day basis.  I was a middle-class white kid.  Second,
at almost any age I think I would have identified that there was something odd
about a yellow figure representing Lando or Mace Windu- especially if there was
a "Lego Brown" at the time that was as widely available as it is today.

eric