 Off-Topic / Debate / 4247
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William A. Swanberg writes:

Well, I wasn't going to mention the debacle that was Viet Nam, but since you
brought it up...
First, I don't see how you could call the Marines in Viet Nam the *main*
element, even ignoring all the REMFs, there were far more soldiers than
Marines deployed on any given day.

My reference to Viet Nam was soley to point out the non-beach landing aspect,
not that they were a main force. I agree with your assessment of the debacle
over there, but that was due to politicians and not tacticians. Viet Nam had
far more to do with the world economy than with politics/communism; and having
been in an interesting position to have been in the middle east a full five
months prior to 8/1/90 there were a lot of similarities in the Gulf as well
(not referring to oil).

than an equivalent Marine unit (MAU, MEU, MEF?  I can't ever keep them
straight, and I thought the Army was acronym happy!).

That reminds of a M.A.S.H. episode on that subject where Hawkeye called a
General a nincompac! :)

Hey, how 'bout those Lego bricks, huh?

Semper Fi,
Bill