 Off-Topic / Debate / 4242
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:45:06 GMT

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:Fq6DA5.5Gu@lugnet.com...
We are far more effective at greater distances than any force on the • planet
(we are required to be accurate with the M16 at 500 meters).

That is a crock of shit.  The C7/M16/AR15/Stoner is not even supposed to • be
used for 500 M.  (Individual fire to 400M, Group to 800M is the Canadian • Forces
(CF) eat tree and bark school type stuff).

Let's take these one at a time.
1) This *is* a family forum, so please use appropriate language.
2) Don't confuse the M-16 with the AR-15, although they are *almost* the
same, they are made to different tolerances, and thus different weapons.
3) The "maximum effective range" of the M-16, according to the US Army, is
460 meters.  Maximum effective range is defined as the distance at which the
average person can be expected to hit a standard silhouette target 50% of
the time.  The (US) Marines do more marksmanship training than the Army
does, and at longer distances, hence the 500 meters.
4) Every *United States* Marine is a rifleman first, its part of their core
(pun not intended) doctrine.  Nobody (with the exception of you) has
mentioned anything about any non-US service to this point.

Please, don't try to tell me that the Marines are the 'best' in the world, • or
that they are the only ones who train everyone as a rifleman first, • because
sure as shit, I _NEVER_ carry a C7 into my working space, nor do I have • contact
with them on a daily basis, but I am qualified to shoot them. (I'm a • Marine
Engineer by training in the CF).  So, don't make broad statements that are
unsubsantiated.

Nobody has stated or inferred that the Marines are the "best in the world."
To say this would be absurd, because then the Marine Force Recon would be
better than the best (which is, of course, impossible).  Not to mention the
US Army Rangers, Special Operations Forces, Navy SEALs, Delta Force, the FBI
Hostage Rescue Team, the British SAS, the German GSG-9, the French DGSE, and
other elite groups, ad nauseum.  We have been comparing services as a whole.

Leading Seaman James Powell, RCN
(these are my personal views, and do not represent the views of HM/DND)

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC [so salute when you say that, sailor : )]