 General / 15057
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:49:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bill Farkas writes:

It always makes me shake my head at how uptight some internet users are.
What's the big deal - I mean, how hard is it to press the delete button. Some
people are dying of cancer and don't complain as much. If the guy sent you a • notice of a great deal on a set that you want you'd be posting a FOTW instead.
People need to lighten up, spam is not so incredibly unbearable - sometimes
it's great info. My two cents, having been in the Marines in an armed conflict
on foreign soil and all.

No, it's not that much of a pain to hit the delete key for one message, but
when you get dozens every day, it's another story.  Not to mention the fact
that some ISP's charge by the amount of space you use, or limit the amount of
space.  For some people I know, spam has filled up their mailbox entirely.  Not
to mention there are ISP's that charge you either by the minute (rarer these
days) or by the bit (or gigabit -- some DSL providers are adopting this
strategy).  So, spam costs the recipient money.  Then there's the old "taking
up Internet bandwidth" argument.  If the spammers would spend more time on
legitimate advertising, registering with search engines, etc., then they'd get
plenty of business from people who are _actually looking_ for their product or
service.
My $0.02 worth, having served in the Army during a time in which the only armed
conflicts was the invasion of that great threat, Grenada.

James Wilson