 Off-Topic / Debate / 4224
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
That's why I
said that none of this is personal, please don't be offended.

No offense taken.

And, yes, I remember quite well the meaning of Semper Fidelis.
I have sacrificed my own well being for the sake of others because
of my dedication to it. I don't see how it applies to this matter.
Since there are other means of which one may avail himself to
remedy this problem, the concept of faithfulness is irrelevant.

But it is relevant to those of us who are employed in the computer networking
industry.

I, as a developer / administrator of networking technology, have a
responsibility to myself and my career to ensure that wanton and destructive
abuse of this technology is kept to a minimum.  I do this partially to help
keep my career stable (a lofty goal in any case, I understand) and partially
to reduce my job-related headaches today.  It's good for my job, and it's good
for business.  I don't think anyone could convince me otherwise.

But it's also more than that.  It's a moral issue.  It's dealing with the
actions of criminally irresponsible people.  It's working with the knowledge
that even small events can have large implications.  It's fighting a system
that, while rapidly growing, is *wrong*.

Semper fi.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society